Sunday, March 18, 2012

Crash



By Daniel Pekker





Space races are exciting. Whenever I rush past the asteroids and meteors I feel that fantastic flow of adrenaline. I looked to my right to see my friend, Lucas. We both were confident in beating the other.

 “Racers, start your interstellar drives and engines.” The announcer yelled through the megaphone.

I typed in the command to start my ship and grabbed onto the controls.

 “Ready, Set, Go!” The announcer seemed as excited as us because he was shrieking so loud that one of Lucas’s pit crew members fainted.

I shot out in front of Lucas and immediately attached a fuel cell to my ship’s speed engine. A huge blew flame blasted out it. I dodged three large asteroids and then made a large loop over a huge comet.

Lucas mimicked me and attached a fuel cell to his ship. He flew up to me until we were side by side. I tried slamming my ship into his to push him away, but something went wrong. I heard a click and then my ship exploded.

**********************************************************
           
I woke up in a hospital bunk. Wires and liquid bags and tubes surrounded me. I felt weak and tired. The hospital was very quiet, as if it was empty. I looked around and also noticed someone slumped against the wall.

 “Hello?” I said with my greatest effort.

The person shuddered and looked up. It looked like Lucas, except that he had burns and scars that hadn’t healed yet all over his face. Under his eyes were large dark spots.

 “You’re awake! Great. How are you? Feeling better? Did I surprise you?” He barraged me with questions until I silenced him.

 “What happened?”


 “When our ships crashed you flew out of the ship into space. The medics quickly picked you up. I didn’t sustain any injuries, just landed back and…”

I fell asleep later. I don’t know how long I slept, but when I woke up many people surrounded me.
           
“He woke up!” someone yelled.
           
“Where…is Lucas?” I asked with immense exertion.
           
Everyone got quiet. Then a doctor came up and said, “Lucas flew out of his ship when you crashed into him. He is gone forever…”



June 2009